Starting a Quail Farming Business in Nigeria – Sample Business Plan
Quail Farming Business in Nigeria – Quail breeding has been considered to one of the most lucrative when it comes to birds because of many factors. Quails have been refer to also in the historical and biblical stories and has Health benefits, return on investment, space management, etc. there have been many speculations and assumptions about bird rearing or having a poultry in Nigeria many of which has hindered most Nigerians from going into this very lucrative enterprise but take not that those things that have plagued or have stood against the conventional poultry setting in breeding chickens are do not affect quail breeding as it were.
Also Read: Comprehensive Business Plan on Poultry Farming in Nigeria
The benefits and merits of starting up a quail business in Nigeria are limitless and the business world and possibilities have thus far remain untapped, maybe out of ignorance of the endless possibilities of making mega buck there or the ignorance of the health benefits also. But as you have begun reading this, this is the first step to a better life for you using quail business as your vehicle to success. Sit back and enjoy…
How to Start Quail Farming Business in Nigeria
- Draw up a Business Plan
Research has shown that most businesses that fail within the first five years of start up all have one thing in common NO PLANNING or POOR PLANNING. As much as you don’t need any formal training to start this business I will not lie to you that you can do it or you will be successful without proper planning. Do your research, know the market, and know the customers and how viable the business is in your locality. All businesses have risks/pitfalls and this business is not a risk free business. Study wide beyond the pleasant stories you hear. What to do in the event of crisis or when the business goes south.
Note that it is important to have a short term and also a long term goal/ plan thus will help you plan the present and prepare for the future, it is also important to have a target. Plug all leaks and be determine to stick to this business because consistency is the key to success. If you can not write a business plan yourself, give us a cal at +2347033378184 and will send you a sample quail farming business plan in Nigeria. This will cost you N10,000 only. To make payment, see our bank details below.
- Business Location /Housing/Cage
Quails are birds and have feathers, so they fly and cannot be left to roam free the environment as much as they can domesticated they still will survive in the wild, therefore it is important that they are confined to a space. A room or cage will do. It must be well ventilated and have adequate security locks to prevent unwanted access.
Quails are not very large birds so the space required for breeding shouldn’t be necessarily be a large space. Space is not a major factor for them.
- Parent Stock and Breed
There are 2 major reasons for breeding quail.
The reason for breeding quails will determine the king of parent stock you will decide to purchase. If you are in it for the meat then you should consider the broiler stocks which are naturally bigger than the laying stocks:
- White breasted Indian breed
- White America breed
- Bob white breed
But if you are in the breeding for the eggs you should consider the following breeds which are smaller in size but are constant layers (laying stocks)
- Manchurian golden breed
- Tuxedo breed
- British range breed
- English white
Quails are known to feed on chicken feeds amongst other things like grains, seeds, etc but unlike chickens they are not so large in size so while a matured quail eats an average of 25grams per day a matured chicken eats an average of 150grams per day. From this statistic it is obvious that the quail consumes less and is more economical to breed than chickens.
- Market Survey
In this the farmer is required to make sure he makes contact with buyers of meat or eggs too ensure that he is not running at loss. Marketing is also required at this stage both within and outside your locality. You will be surprised how far you can supply your product with proper marketing. Talk to people, ask around and guess what your market may just be waiting for you around the corner of your house.
Health Benefits of Quail Egg
- The egg doesn’t have bad cholesterol Therefore quail eggs consumed don’t have side effects.
- They improve skin color and skin tone that is the major reason the egg are used for facial mask.
- They are known to fight against digestive tract disorders such as gastritis, stomach ulcer, duodenal ulcer and general ulcers.
- They destroy cancerous cells thereby preventing almost all forms of cancer.
- They are known to remove kidney stone, improve the health of the liver and gallbladder.
- Treatment of tuberculosis, bronchial asthma, diabetes and some other diseases.
- Accelerate the healing process after stroke and strengthen heart muscles to prevent heart attacks.
- Strengthen the immune system and also helps as an anti aging agent.
- Improves memory and enhances brain activity.
- Powerful sexual stimulant for men and increases their potency.
Financial Breakdown for Quail Farming in Nigeria
This business can be started with as little as N200,000 (more or less depending on the size of business intended) and great marketing strategy and skills, you can earn as much as N100,000 monthly. This is a breakdown at the time of this research:
- 250 female quails (point of laying) at N500 each = N125,000
- 50 male quails (matured and ready to mate) at N 300 each = N 15,000
- 2step 3feet width and four feet length (or more depending on the size you have)= N 25,000
- Feeders/drinkers for the quails = N 4000 approximately
- Feeds = 9 (25kg) bags per month = N 22,500
- Miscellaneous = N 8,500
Total = N 200,000.
Risk involved in Quail Breeding
Every business has its risks and things easily bring loss over night and quail business is not an exception. They have human factor risks and predatory risks.
PREDATORS:Snakes, cats, and rodents are one of the biggest threats faced in a quail farm. It is therefore important that you guard against all these, by having the floors and walls well sealed; every opening should be properly sealed to avoid all these predatory elements. Strong nets should also be put to cover the ventilators.
HUMAN RISK FACTOR:because of the viability and the much cash inflow of this business it usually attracts malicious activities from people that want to reap where they didn’t sow by stealing the birds and eggs for food and money. Secure your business premises to avoid unwanted loss.
Facts About Quails, Eggs and Meat
- The meat and eggs are good source of lean protein without the bad cholesterol
- The eggs have been discovered to help improve fertility in men and sexual potency
- They grow much faster feeding on poultry feeds
- They are small in size and therefore don’t take up too much space which means you can have allot in a small space.
- They begin laying at 6weeks of age.
- Japanese quail is said to reach maturity by 8 weeks.
- They feed on grains, seeds and also poultry feeds.
- They are not prone to harsh weather conditions so they can even survive in the wild.
- Their meat is good for those with hypertension and other health challenges.
Quail Farming Guide / Tips for a Successful Quail Farm:
- Make sure the cage or room is secured from cats, snakes, rats and thieves by securing and covering every hole and also providing it with locks adequately.
- The cage or house should be well ventilated by using strong nets in openings to prevent unwanted entrance and going out because quails fly.
- Their cages should be Cleaned regularly to prevent disease outbreak.
- Be very observant of their daily behavior for any change
- Give the quails good, quality and healthy foods to improve their sizes or improve their laying.
- they have a very annoying and noisy cry so good advice keep the cage a little bit further from you house to avoid disturbance.
- you will need a secondary roofing that is soft (preferably a net) because they sometimes fly vertically to the ceiling so to avoid them hurting themselves in the process.
- make sure you disinfect the cages as soon as you sell old birds and planning to bring new stock to prevent transference of disease to this new and fragile set.
- avoid over exposure of your quail to temperature especially in extreme cases.
Profitability of Quail Farming in Nigeria and Reason Why you should Start
- LOW RISK: quail breeding is one of the only livestock farming and breeding that has little risk involved. You hardly lose your birds to outbreaks and diseases. They can survive at severe weather conditions so the business can thrive in different parts of Nigeria with various weather conditions.
- Return On Investment (ROI): One of the major reason for going into a business is to make profit but more than just making profit you want to make the profit quickly. Why start a business that takes too long to get back the money invested in it as capital. Quail farming gives you a faster return on investment than any other live stock farming known. Quail farming for meat can give you a return on investment as fast as 6 weeks while for egg purposes you can get a return on investment at 8weeks from the start date.
- LOW CAPITAL INTENSIVE: unlike other livestock or animal farming that requires so much capital to start up, you don’t need so much money to start up this business. You can start with as low as one hundred thousand naira and you are assured of having a good number of quails for a start while you work your way to top.
- LOW MAN POWER: in comparison to chicken. Suppose you have 4000 chickens you will need at least five men to work the farm but if you have that same number of quails one man can work it. So you see that it is easier to keep quails in relation to man power.
- SPACE: you also don’t need so much space for quail farming, a space or room that can contain 400 chickens can contain over 1000 quail because of their size which is much smaller than the size of the chicken.
- HIGH DEMAND FOR QUAIL: the demand for quail is so much and the market has not been fully exploited even by 40% so you see that there is so much market for if only you know where to look and do you market survey and marketing properly.
- NO FORMAL TRAINING NEEDED: You don’t need a Bsc or Doctorate to breed quail. All you need is the basic knowledge of raising these birds and your capital alongside your willingness to make money and you are good to go. You or your staff (if you do have any) doesn’t need any form of formal training to get this business going.
- You don’t need to quit you regular paying job to run this business
- 1000 Quails can produce as much as 28 creates daily
consumption of feeds should be aimed at 15g feed/ Quail per day much less than consumption of chicken.
5kg of feed daily for 1000 quails = N 1, 584 to produce 28 creates daily28 crates x N 500/crate = N 14, 000 profit – N 1, 584 daily feed consumption = N12, 416 x 365days of laying of these quails, while the layers that have been spent will be sold at almost the price of a point of lay (POL) bird. The total sum that will be gotten at the end of the year(365days) will approximately N 4,500,000. Four million five hundred thousand naira only. That is so much for a little that was put into the business.
- The business can be started with a minimum capital of N 30,000 which can get you a total of 200-300 birds in total.
What are you waiting for…. Start Today!
To place order for our Quail Farming Business Plan in Nigeria, Pay N10000 to:
BANK NAME: GUARANTY TRUST BANK (GTB)
ACCOUNT NAME: CHIBUZOR TOCHI ONYEMENAM
ACCOUNT NUMBER: 0044056891
BANK NAME: FIRST BANK PLC
ACCOUNT NAME: CHIBUZOR TOCHI ONYEMENAM
ACCOUNT NUMBER: 3066880122
After payment, send us your email, name and topic of choice to 07033378184. Upon confirmation of your payment you will get the business plan immediately.
Starting a Quail Farming Business in Nigeria – Sample Business Plan © www.businessplan.com.ng
Dipak Hemchandra Badgujar says
Kindly provide me detail information about Quail Bird Farming.
Laila victoria says
What are the technical assumption for quail egg business?
How can i get the birds, i am in ogun state, Agbara industrial area, please address or contact number to reach your farm thanks