How to Start a Bakery Business in Nigeria (THE CHECKLIST)
Starting a bakery is a lucrative business if you have got the right information. Since owning a bakery has to do with bread and different varieties of cakes this makes it a very profitable business. In Nigeria we have various bakeries but what do you need to know to make yours stand out? This is where I walk you through.
- You need to acquire the skill- To start something you need to have the knowledge in other to succeed (note the emphasis on need). Go to a bakery school, learn the basics and various types of cakes and bread this should be your starting point, practice until you are satisfied, bake for family and friends until perfected.
- Creativity is key- Be creative with everything you do and baking makes it easy to show case that creativity. Let your design stand out from the rest. Since you already know how to bake, you can learn other things from the internet like ‘Pinterest, YouTube’ etc. just to boost your creativity.
- Taste- Taste is key, your cakes and bread should taste as good as they look.
- A Business plan – Click here to get your sample bakery business plan here
There are different types of bakery options to choose from, you have to pick the one you would like to start.
- Home based or micro bakery- Just has the name implies everything is done at home, this can be done by only one person you won’t really need to employ people.
- Sit-down bakery- This type of bakery has a place where customers can dine inside or outside with a menu to pick from. They also provide drinks and coffee to customers alongside their orders.
- Counter service bakery- These types have staff attend to customers behind the counter, they give the customers a menu or the goods are displayed where the customer pick from, pays and have them wrapped. This type of bakery is always fast because everything is fresh and ready.
- Online bakery- Thanks to technology it’s easier to get across to a large range of audience. In cases like this you have the opportunity to display your goods and have pictures uploaded online for marketing, you can also add description of services and location of the store or even delivery services if any and a contact numbers. You can do this by either creating an official website or you use other social media services like ‘Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, google+’ etc.
Now that you have the skills, you need to consider location, where would you want to open your store? When scouting for a location, there are various factors to consider like?
- The environment- This involves cleanliness, making sure not only your environment but also your neighbors are clean because you would need a certification from NAFDAC.
- Your target customers – That is people you would want to attract to your business, if you are thinking for the elites then you know it has to be around their location. Interior and exterior design has to be classic to attract your targeted customers, a convenient parking space and a hospitable environment to make them feel comfortable and at home.
- Space- This involves the size of the bakery, Sufficient bake house and storage space for your bakery equipment’s. Don’t be scared you can get affordable baking equipment’s, I mean we are in Nigeria things could be locally made and work perfectly well. You can get a locally made baking pan, oven, mixing bowls and other utensils for your work space.
- Dispatch space- Here you have some goods on display, already made and a little sitting arrangement or not, depends on how you want it to look. A few staff attending to customers, a list of menus and booking of events.
- No visible bakery- Make sure there isn’t any other bakery close to yours, pick a location were people would have to drive a distance to get to another bakery.
Do not forget you will also need a standby generator(s), this is very important in Nigeria.
Now that you have found the perfect location, you will need to staff your bakery, except you want to work alone, which would make things really hard if it’s a large-scale bakery. What kind of people would you want working with you?
- A professional baker- This is someone that knows their way around the bakery, they have the knowledge on what goes with what and with people like this know you won’t have a problem getting stressed on every little detail.
- Experience hands- These set will manage the delicate part of your business. I am talking from the manager to casher to checking out etc.
- Newbies or Students- These set will handle other aspects of the business, like talking customers through and making them comfortable. With time you could start a school, were you teach people how to bake and get paid for it, it’s always a win-win in this business.
Another important thing is to register your company with NAFDAC and other regulatory bodies. Make sure you are certified by NAFDAC, this will make your customers feel safe in purchasing your goods, with the increase of unhealthy products this is an important factor and should not be over looked.
You will need to register your company with Corporate affairs commission (CAC). Steps on how to do this are:
- Come up with a name for your bakery, this would be the name you register but you will have to check to make sure no one else is using that same company name.
- Download and fill out CAC pre-registration form or fill online.
- Check to know the fee and pay to CAC.
- Pay stamp duty fee to FIRS.
When all this has been done, scan all documents and upload for processing then submit originals to CAC office in exchange for your certificate.
With the rate of unemployment in Nigerian, owning a bakery is a way of getting self-employed and also creating jobs for people in the country. You have the benefit of working at your own pace, controlling the products you provide and their amounts, you also have an option of an endless variety of producing bread, pastries, cakes and brownies but it’s advisable to focus on a particular product line to specialize in so you can perfect in it.
This business can be considered recession proof, this is because people have to eat and people pay for good and fresh products. I would say go for it if you are thinking of a business to venture into and nothing is complete without passion, so add a bit of zeal to give it that great taste of perfection and I bet you won’t go wrong. Good luck as you start this new phase of your life.
Get your own Sample Bakery Business Plan in Nigeria! To place order, Pay N10,000 to:
BANK NAME: GUARANTY TRUST BANK (GTB)
ACCOUNT NAME: CHIBUZOR TOCHI ONYEMENAM
ACCOUNT NUMBER: 0044056891
BANK NAME: FIRST BANK PLC
ACCOUNT NAME: CHIBUZOR TOCHI ONYEMENAM
ACCOUNT NUMBER: 3066880122
After payment, send your full name, email address and topic (i.e. Sample bakery business plan pdf) to 07033378184. Your business plan will be sent to your email within 15 minutes.
How to Start a Bakery Business in Nigeria (THE CHECKLIST) © www.businessplan.com.ng